Hey Baseball fans, it’s “list season” out on the inter-webs. For the first time, I’m throwing my hat into the ring.
Historically, I’ve followed the Phillies prospect lists merely to anticipate when talented young players might be able to come to the IronPigs and contribute towards winning baseball. But since I became a season ticket holder in Reading as well as Allentown, I’ve got a little more perspective and opinion–hopefully cogent enough to write my own list.
As you read lists, it is important to keep in mind the author. National or local? What sources does the author have? How much time does he/she spend watching the players in person or on video?
So keeping that in mind, I’ll add a few comments here and there from my AAA/AA perspective, and where I expect them to start the 2017 season. This may not be the most curated of lists out there, but it has basis and might better be described as my “impression.”
- JP Crawford SS (IronPigs) He makes it all look easy. And no one is talking about it, but nagging injuries to his hand/wrist and back/oblique sapped his power a bit last season. I still expect really big things.
- Jorge Alfaro C (IronPigs) So there will be two dudes named ‘Jorge’ from Columbia working at Coca Cola Park this summer… Pitchers love him and he works really hard. One of my favorites.
- Nick Williams OF (IronPigs) I might be higher than other Phillies-centric rankers here, but I still believe in his talent. (Must. not. make. Dom. Brown. comp.)
- Mickey Moniak CF (Lakewood) He’s a natural–expect him to move quickly.
- C Randolph LF (Clearwater) I’m among the highest on him I know–I just think he can hit. I also know the Tony Gwynn Sr comp is unfair, but…
- Franklyn Kilome RHP (Clearwater)
- Sixto Sanchez RHP (Williamsport) The hot guy this offseason. A long way off perhaps.
- Mark Appel RHP (IronPigs) I still believe. Not in the pedigree, but in the stuff. If his shoulder is right he could be a dominant starter or even a back-end reliever.
- Roman Quinn OF (IronPigs) Many have him starting in Philadelphia. I’m not sold on his arm in right field. He needs to play and stay healthy and that might have to start in CF in Allentown.
- Elniery Garcia LHP (Reading) I’m among the highest on him. Really looking forward to watching him in Reading this season. I probably over-value lefties.
- Scott Kingery 2B (Reading) The speed is really good. Second is his only position, though, I think.
- Rhys Hoskins 1B (IronPigs) It’s not just about homers–he can hit. But he’ll have to keep it up.
- Nick Pivetta RHP (IronPigs) Stuff is good enough to convert to the pen if needed.
- Adonis Medina RHP (Lakewood)
- Kevin Gowdy RHP (Williamsport) Draft pedigree–but I’m going to need to see something.
- Andrew Knapp C (IronPigs) I’d like to see him hit more. I’d like to see his defense improve.
- Dylan Cozens RF (IronPigs) I’m really worried about lefties and curves…
- Carlos Tocci CF (Reading) Sink or swim time for Tocci? Advanced feel for the game bodes well.
- Ricardo Pinto RHP (Reading) I’m ready to put him in the bullpen right now.
- Victor Arano RHP (Reading) Could move quickly. A reliever with value.
- Drew Anderson RHP (Clearwater) I might be drinking the Kool Aide..
- Jhailyn Ortiz OF (Williamsport) I believe. Just, so young.
- Jesmuel Valentin 2B (IronPigs) I was impressed with his adjustment to AAA last season after seeing him in Reading as well. Might need to start getting some time at SS or 3B to improve flexibility.
- Andrew Pullin LF (Reading) He’s going to need to keep hitting, and although he played a bunch in RF for Reading, probably limited to LF long term.
- Deivi Grullon C (Clearwater) I’m still drunk on his arm. And, I’ve got a soft spot for catchers. Still finding his way at the plate.
- Alberto Tirado RHP (Clearwater) Top self stuff but might never harness it. Time to put him in the ‘pen and get him moving if he’s gonna.
- Chace Numata C (Reading) Love catchers. He hits .300? Yes, please, more of that.
- Cole Stobbe SS (Williamsport)
- Malquin Canelo SS (Reading) I’m worried he’ll never hit.
- Arquimedes Gamboa SS (Lakewood) I probably over-value defense.
- Ben Lively RHP (IronPigs) One of the best ‘Pigs starters–might be challenged at the next level.
- Thomas Eshelman RHP (Reading) Control artist struggling with control. I’m worried.
- JoJo Romero LHP (Lakewood)
- Cole Irvin LHP (Lakewood?) College pitcher; needs to move.
- Jose Pujols OF (Clearwater) Power for days. Strikeouts for weeks.
- Brock Stassi 1B (IronPigs) Just keeps proving people wrong. This season’s Tommy Joseph?
- Cam Perkins OF (IronPigs) Having a great winter.
- Seranthony Dominguez RHP (Clearwater)
- Harold Arauz RHP (Clearwater)
- Grenny Cumana INF (Clearwater) DiPro’s favorite player as soon as he arrives in Allentown in 2019.
I probably forgot someone. Have at me in the comments if you want.
See you at the parks,