Welcome to Teddy Bear day in downtown Allentown!
Last night at the intersection of Hamilton and 7th, the Phantoms spotted the Americans from Rochester two goals before storming back for the 4-3 win. Along the way, Big Sam Morin bounced an Amerk off the ice. It was good to see the big guy assert himself physically. Alex Lyon continues to serve as the primary goalie, and Sanheim had his first goal of the season on a nice move in front of the net after a feed from Chris Conner. Carey, Miele and Connor had the other goals.
The Phantoms pounded out 48 shots last night–that’s 98 in two games this week! Get that puck on net, fellas!
Hershey beat a stacked Penguins team (they got a couple nice pieces back from Pittsburgh) in regulation last night. I believe they go at it again tonight. I believe Bridgeport was off, but plays Binghamton tonight.
The Phantoms 33 points are tied (with Hershey) for the most in the entire AHL. By win percent, we’re third behind Hershey and Wilkes-Barre.
F Kevin Sundher was added from Reading yesterday for game-day depth as Swavely and Lamarche went to Reading to get some ice time. The official roster hasn’t even been adjusted yet, but sources tell me he’s wearing #37.
With Swaves and March in the fold, the Royals crushed Indy last night, and will go at it again tonight. I believe they’ve won 7 in a row down there, now–winning streaks seem to be a thing with this organization this season! It’s Teddy Bear Toss night in Reading tonight, as well.
It’s a rematch, as Rochester stays in town for another dose of Sam Morin and the Hamilton Street Heroes tonight.
Puck Drop: 7:05PM
Doors: 5:30PM (Saturday)
Parking: Bring cash
Tickets: I’ve seen many, many tickets available on the secondary markets–some of them very good seats.
Security: The walk-through security seems to be working very well, but tonight I advise allowing extra time so that the bags of bears can be checked.
Promotion: TEDDY BEAR TOSS! I calculated that you’ll need to bring 7.4 bears per seat in order for us to beat Hershey. Let’s go!
Broadcast: Tonight’s game is not part of the FMZ-69 package, so you’ll need TV-2 from Service Electric or AHL-Live to catch the toss if you’re not in the house.
PreGame: Radio goes live at 6:20PM for your drive downtown, and catch the TV pregame live from Chickie’s and Pete’s at 6:30PM.
We were at Chickie’s last night and had good food and service. The kiddos love it. Back there again tonight with the other kiddo it looks like.
What To Watch
- I’m assuming Lyon will get the start in net again. Watch to see if I’m right.
- Watch for that first goal! At least this season we don’t have to worry (nearly as much) that we might get shut-out and have to toss bears after the game just to get rid of them.
- Watch Scotty Laughts. His last tour with us he was quiet for two games then scored in some way almost every game. This is his third game back, so….
- Watch Morin. Will the ‘merks come after him tonight? Will it be another chippy game, or did they all go out for beers last night and become best friends?
- Check out the Phan Nation table on the concourse. Recently, they’ve been located behind section 102 or 103. There are pins and T-Shirts to buy for members–and you can become a member very easily–and they have a game-used Stolie Stick to raffle, with proceeds benefiting Peaceable Kingdom animal shelter.
- Watch the scoreboard for the Hershey/Wilkes-Barre results. Remember, we don’t care who wins, just that it happens in regulation.
- Check out the 50/50 tonight. With everyone jacked up for the teddy toss, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s higher than normal.
Bridgeport will be in town on Wednesday for a mid-week tilt. That’s an important game in the division.
Next weekend we’re home Friday and Saturday before the players get the following week off for the holidays. Back at it at home on Boxing Day.
See you at the arena,