“Back in black…
…been too long I’m glad to be back”
Flyers preseason hockey started on Sunday with an organizational scrimmage. Then, Monday in a split-squad both-away affair divided between New Jersey and Brooklyn, both young squads lost without scoring a goal. Perhaps the star of Monday was young goalie Alex Lyon out of Yale, who reportedly impressed. Last night in Philadelphia, a more NHL-stocked team won 4-0 over a skeleton Islanders squad with goals by Simmonds (2), Wiese, and Miele.
Alex Lyon and Anthony Stolarz will be in net tonight for the Flyers; Stolie will start.
The roster/lines for tonight (best guess based on announced):
63 Konecny / 10 Schenn / 12 Raffl
36 McDonald / 27 Gordon / 56 Goulbourne
62 Aube-Kubel / 54 Carey / 58 Leier
38 Conner / 65 Fazleev / 76 VandeVelde
23 Manning / 47 MacDonald
39 Alt / 50 Morin
48 Hagg / 45 O’Neill
41 Stolarz (49 Lyon)
The hated New Jersey Devils are in town to face the Philadelphia Flyers in an NHL pre-season match-up at the PPL Center. The Devils are my least-favorite NHL team; I’m not even going to venture who the Devils will bring for the game because I don’t care. However, it is not a split-squad for them and they did not play last night, so I would expect at least a modicum of NHL talent.
Tickets and Parking: Good seats are still available for this game, with very few sections completely sold out. As of this writing, there are more expensive club seats available than upper-level budget seats! Parking should be $6 and policies similar to last season. READ THIS updated parking summary. CLICK HERE for Linden/ArenaNorth pre-paid pass (if the link doesn’t work, they’ve likely sold out).
Puck Drop: 7:05PM
Promotion: Straw-Ber-Rita & Raz-Ber-Rita Half Yard Cup Slushies – $12
Straw-Ber-Rita Half Yard Cup slushies are available at Mozzarella’s located behind section 104. Get your Raz-Ber-Rita Half Yard Cup slushie at Donnybrook’s located behind Section 107/108. Please drink responsibly.
Media Kit: [Not Available]
Broadcast Info: Watch on TV on Service Electric 2 or The Comcast Network; a condensed re-broadcast may be available later in the evening on the NHL Channel–watch when you get home! On radio, tune in to 1470-AM or their IHeartRadio feed; I hope Bob Rotruck, voice of the Phantoms, has the in-arena FM-89.9 feed open as well.
Pre-Game: I’ll likely be downtown early, trying to taste my way through the beer list at Bell Hall. Isn’t today “National Drink Beer Day”? Good golly, this isn’t a good combination. You’ll probably want to get to Chickie’s by 5:30–5:45 at the latest–to get a table.
What To Watch:
- Look to see if they’ve added anything new around the arena. I haven’t heard anything, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some new seats or group areas set up in advance of January’s All Star Game.
- Check out the team shop and see what’s new–but you might want to wait until regular season to get the STH discount. They gave me a problem with that last season.
- Watch #63 Travis Konecny. The hot-shot young forward is on the bubble for making the NHL team or heading back to another tour in Major Juniors. He should get plenty of ice time tonight, and he’s playing with NHL players.
- Watch the defenders. Puck-pushing, athletic defense is how this Flyers franchise is being built, so watch how they break out of the zone and watch how they support the offense. Watch to see if they can get back when they push up, and watch how they function on the power play.
- Watch for when 49 Lyon gets in net; I’m looking forward to seeing him play.
- Check back, as this post will be updated with lines and additional things to watch, when available.
This Saturday, Season Ticket Holders will get a sneak peak at the 2016-17 squad at the PPL Center, then on October 7th and 8th we’ll have preseason games at home versus Charlotte.
See you at the arena,
Cover photo by Cheryl Pursell