“I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning….”
Jake Thompson had his best start of the year. Tommy Joseph and Cam Perkins just keep hitting. JP Arencibia hit a missle (Just like he told me he would), moved to third, and scored an important insurance run late. And, young Nicky Williams walked it off in grand fashion with a homer to right to keep us from spending the whole night at the ballpark.
The team remains in second place, two games back of surging Syracuse who just keeps winning. Here are some other nuggets:
- Last season at this time we were 6-18 and already nine games back in the division
- This season we have 17 home runs; last year we only had 16 through the end of May
- The Pigs lead the IL in team batting at .406, with no other club above .400
Here are some other stats about this years team, which may apply to today’s game:
- The Pigs are 5-0 versus lefty starters as the PawSox wheel out another lefty today
- The Pigs are 0-1 in morning games, but 6-3 in day games overall
- This is the “rubber match” of this Pawtucket series; the Pigs are 0-0 in such games this season
- The Pigs are 4-4 in series finales
- The Pigs are 3-1 on Wednesdays
- OF Cam Perkins has a current 15-game hitting streak, good enough for fourth-best all time for the IronPigs and the longest in the IL this season. The Pigs record is 21 (Dom Brown over two seasons), while Cody Overbeck (2013) and Mike Cervenak (2008) both have 18-game streaks.
- 1B/DH Tommy Joseph has hit safely in 14 of his last 15 starts (22-56, .393-5-11, 6 doubles). Going into this series, he led the IL in both batting average and slugging, while third in HR and extra-base hits.
- OF Nick Williams had hit in 8 of his last 9 and has run his season average all the way up to .289. He’s more consistent at the plate and having better at-bats.
It’s the first “Education Day” of the year, and RHP Zach Eflin (3-0, 2.05) will take the mound for the IronPigs. The PawSox wind up this trip to Allentown with LHP Brian Johnson (1-2, 2.25)
First Pitch: 10:35AM
Hat of the day: TBD. I’ve got to balance the rain versus comfort and still avoid repeating. I think the rain will let up, though, and we’ll get this one in.
Last night was one of those nights where my superstitions were reinforced. The Pigs seemed to do well or poorly depending on which seat I was sitting in. At one point I was totally convinced we’d be spending the night at the park in advance of this morning’s game. At the end I was just one guy sitting at the bar–but that was the lucky seat!
Link of the Day
I didn’t see anything written yesterday that caught my eye, particularly. The thing that made me the most happy was Cheryl’s Twitter feed–seeing the photos come through after the win. If you don’t have twitter you need to get it simply to follow her account–so that’s my link of the day. Here’s a couple more shots from last night:
See you at the park,