“No one ever says, ‘It’s only a game!’
when their team’s winning.”
Here’s your “Fan Kit” for tonight’s game at the PPL Center in Allentown, Pennsylvania, as the visiting Providence Bruins take on the Hamilton Street Heroes–YOUR 2016 Lehigh Valley Phantoms!
The Phantoms took a “rented mule”-style beating from the Bears Wednesday night, to the tune of an 8-0 loss.
- The Phantoms are 27-32-4-3 and have lost 8 in a row.
- They are 11-19-1-2 at home.
- Only the Iowa Wild and San Antonio Rampage have won fewer home games.
- It’s been 35 days since the last time the Phantoms won a home game.
- Over the past three home games, the Phantoms have been out-scored 15-2.
- Cornell D-Man Reece Willcox is wearing #43 and still settling in. We still may not see him yet this weekend, but I say give the kid a chance. It’s not like anyone else is playing defense, am I right?
- Aaron Palushaj and Colin McDonald returned to action Wednesday night after missing time with injuries.
- LaMarche, Smith, Rosehill and Willcox were the healthy scratches Wednesday
- Marty Ouellette was pulled from Wednesday’s game down 3-0, and relieved by Connor Knapp. It wasn’t really about goalies, though, the way that game was going.
- Pavel Padakin returned to the Phantoms this past week, and saw action Wednesday night.
The Royals also lost Wednesday night, 3-2 to Kalamazoo. They have 7 games remaining, with Manchester in town tonight. After tonight, they have four more home games, if you’d like to go see a winning hockey team and not pay Flyers prices. Goals Wednesday night were scored by Tifu and Alderson. Adam Morrison was in net. Goums assisted on the Alderson marker.
The Royals are in seventh place and have a 3-point lead on a playoff position, so games are still important down the stretch.
The P-Bruins are pretty firmly in third place in the division, with a “magic number” of 16 to officially clinch their playoff spot.
Puck Drop: 7:05PM
Tickets: Good seats are still available for this game, but many are singles. It is still possible that we see ‘SRO’ for this one, but you’re probably OK waiting until you get downtown to get a ticket. There are also MANY seats available on the secondary market if you want to try something different.
Media Kit/Rosters: Providence 3-25-2016
- Dave “The Hammer” Schultz will be signing autographs from 6:00-6:45 near section 103
- “Slap Shot” Sangria will be available to purchase, for fans 21 and over, in the Club Bar and Miller Lite Loft
- A variety of non-meat items are on the menus at most concessions around the concourse, during Lent
Pre-Game: Had a great “Happy Hour” at the Hook bar Wednesday night, but ultimately I blew it–the right move would have been the patio at The Hamilton given the nice weather Wednesday. At Hook, sampled the “Beer Mussels” and a burger, several adult beverages, and still only spent $30 plus tip.
Tonight, I’ll likely forgo any pre-game festivities–especially since I don’t want to get too “prepared” given I’ll need to drive sooner if we go down 8-0 again.
What To Watch
- Watch to see who starts in net–I’d probably go back to Ouellette.
- Watch to see if Colin McDonald plays–he’s been battling nagging injuries. Still, I thought the Captain tried to respond for his team early Wednesday, shoving guys and even dropping the gloves at one point. To no avail, of course.
- Watch to see if any others players respond “appropriately” if they go down early.
- We’ve had “booing” debates around here before, so I won’t repeat. In this case, I think it’s OK to let a team know when their play is “below the line.” I’d wait until they go down 3-0 tonight, though. Then have at it if you want. Or, just go home. That’s what I’m going to do–not wasting time and money if the team’s not going to at least play hard.
- Watch those D-men. They can’t leave these ECHL goalies hung out to dry. Forwards need to get back and help, too. There were plenty on the wrong side of the +/- after the 8-0 pasting, of course.
- Two guys who weren’t on the minus were fourth line guys Goulbourne and Padakin.
- Only the first of the 8 goals was a power play goal Wednesday–the rest were at full strength. I’m not sure what that means, but you may as well take some penalties once you’re down by a touchdown, huh? Then again, Goulbourne and Padakin did…
- Watch to see if Max Talbot or Zac Rinaldo are in the lineup for Providence tonight
Drop by the Phan Club table tonight and say ‘hello’ to those folks. They’re planning to host the WolfPack Booster Club tomorrow at the arena with early access and a buffet and everything. Ask them for details if you’re interested!
We’re right back at it tomorrow as said WolfPack will be in town for a Saturday night contest on “fan appreciation night” at the arena. Expect extra promotions and prizes, I’m told!
Then we’ll be on the road for a jaunt up to St John’s and back to Wilkes Barre before returning to downtown Allentown on Saturday April 9 for Bridgeport.
See you at the arena,