Friday March 4
Friday evening marks the return of the Phantoms. They’ve been home for the last three Fridays in a row, so you should have your Friday night routine down pat. The hated Penguins are in town, re-stocked with fresh talent from the trade deadline just in time for their playoff run–and headed into the friendly confines of the PPL Center, where they have dominated for the past two seasons. They’ll try to drive the final stake into the hearts of the 2015-2016 Phantoms.
The Phantoms will be coming off a face-off in Syracuse on Wednesday night. They’ll sport the gorgeous throwback jerseys for the fourth and final poster night, celebrating 20 years of Phantoms hockey. I was told by a high-ranking official within the Phantoms organization that this would be the night those beautiful sweaters would be auctioned off. I questioned the exact date because I needed to stall in order to get it written down. Evidently he/she was mistaken. In fact, I’ve now learned that the throwbacks won’t be “live” auctioned at all. Watch the silent auction table and eBay going forward. I’ve got more jersey features coming out, too, which I had originally planned to coincide with the auction. Watch this space in the very near future.
Saturday, March 5
It’s gonna be a busy day, and it starts off at the IronPigs:
IronPigs: The IronPigs will host their 9th observation of National Pig Day, and put single-game tickets on sale to the general public to commemorate the occasion. There will be a variety of events, activities, entertainment and food–and for the most part it’s all free. Here’s a rundown:
- Walk-up ticket sales begin at 9AM; the first 500 purchasers will receive a free T-Shirt!
- There will be a Pig Roast starting at 9AM, with complimentary pork sandwiches, while supplies last.
- Hot Dogs, Coke products, Martin’s chips and hot chocolate will be complimentary from 9AM to Noon, or while supplies last.
- From 9AM to 11AM The James Lauchmen Duo will perform, sponsored by Allied Personnel Services
- Tootsie the Clown, balloon animals, and face painting will be available starting at 9AM in the Club Level, for the kiddos
- From 10AM to 1PM, every half-hour, meet at the Club Entrance for Club House tours.
- Ferrous, FeFe, and the Pork Racers will be about for fun and pictures, throughout the day
- If it’s cold (and it has been the past couple years), head on up to the Club Level to get warmed up!
- There will be free drawings for special group nights, including the newly available suite on the club level, and the picnic patio.
- Special sales in the Majestic Clubhouse Store. Will they have new gear for 2016? The new Majestic jerseys? We’ll see…
- On a down note, no yard signs this season–I’ll have to pull out my old ones again.
- Most of the activities will wrap up by 1PM, at which time single-game tickets will be available by phone for those averse to the cold. The ticket office will remain open, as will the Clubhouse Store.
The Phantoms will be up I-81 in Binghamton; however, the Phan Nation Fan Club will be holding a “viewing party,” open to the general public, at Crust at the PPL Center. There will be prizes and a pizza buffet. You do not need to be a member to attend. $22 gets you in and access to the pizza buffet and soft drinks. Bar will be available for cash. For more information and to RSVP (while public, it is a closed party with a limited amount of space) go to their FaceBook site HERE or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Had your fill of pizza already? Bored with hockey on TV? Grab a ticket for the SteelHawks Kickoff Classic, versus the Philadelphia Yellow Jackets inside the PPL Center at 7PM. Tickets are as little as $10 in advance (plus fees), but will also be available for walk-up purchase at the box office–cheaper in advance of game day. It should be a great game as the Yellow Jackets have one of the best QB’s in the game–facing the high-powered SteelHawks defense.
Sunday March 6
You can’t do both, but there are two more events on tap for our teams this weekend:
Phantoms: Sunday from 11-3 at the PPL Center is the second annual Season Ticket Holder Carnival, hosted by the Phantoms and their players. Fun and games for the kiddos, complimentary arena food, and players galore. Hang out with the team and enjoy the benefits of being a season ticket holder.
Steel FC: Not a hockey STH? No worries. Head on down the pike and take in the first official preseason match for the new Steel FC soccer team! The free match will be on the training grounds of the Union near Talen Energy Stadium, and should be free to the public (although, parking maybe not?). If you RSVP with the Union, you may be able to take in the first Union match of the season, too, from the comforts of the Club Lounge at the stadium. Space is limited there, though, so you must RSVP (on the Philadelphia Union site.) Match time is 12PM, with the Union viewing party to follow, with the Club open at 2PM for the 3PM match. The Union shop will be open with all the new gear–including some Bethlehem Steel FC stuff–for the 2016 season.
And I’ll see you…
at the arena, the ballpark, the restaurant, and back to the arena (the pitch will wait),