“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
Video Recap Courtesy LV Phantoms
The Hamilton Street Heroes lost in the shootout last night. Colin McDonald returned to score a big goal in the third period off a nice pass from Chris Conner. Dannick Martel opened the scoring for the Phantoms in the first period. We weren’t able to convert on a double-minor in overtime, or on any of the shootout chances.
Colin McDonald post-game:
Team Report: “Countdown to Elimination”
See yesterday’s “Hockey Night” for a full rundown of our playoff standings and place–or lack thereof.
The official Horn and Bell common sense countdown was at 17-5 over the final 22 games. That would be 34 points. with yesterday’s one point, we should need 33. So we’ll put it at 16-4-1 over the last 21 games.
As today starts, we’re six points back of a playoff spot. Remember, this puts us in a position to cheer FOR Hershey and Wilkes Barre.
- As you could see from above, Captain Colin McDonald returned and played well. I’m not sure it’s a given that he’ll be available tonight–depending on how he feels this morning. Reports suggest he has a “nagging injury.” Whenever I’m suffering from nagging, I find it best to get out of the house. Maybe go to a hockey game or something. Oh, that might be different…
- F Jay Rosehill and newcomer F Dalton Smith were healthy scratches last night, as the team went 11F/7D with Marti on as the extra D-man.
- F Taylor Leier will be credited with his first professional fight, but never through a punch as the opponent kind of flipped on him. Nevertheless, the result was a power play for the Phantoms.
- Stolie started in goal last night an played reasonably well. I thought he should have stopped the second goal, and could have been more aggressive with his reach in the shootout, but over all a pretty decent game: 38SH/36SV.
- I didn’t think Marti played terribly well, and I thought he was on the ice too much. I hate to be critical, and I certainly don’t know everything. However, these are critical times. Eventually, we “won’t be worried about the results.”
- Bob Rotruck tweets that Cole Bardreau may have hurt his hand or wrist in yesterday’s game–didn’t play a ton in the third or at all in OT.
24 Strax – 9 Bards – 13 Diesel
23 Leiersy – 10 Deasey – 22 Conns
18 Danny – 17 Goums – 16 Loushy
12 Gillz – 44 Camper
5 Whiskey – 20 Marshy
3 Morn – 2 Alty
36 Coms – 4 Hagger
The Royals took two points in Elmira last night, defeating the Jackals 5-3, as they try to get some separation from the team just trailing them in the standings. They visit our old friends in Glens Falls tonight and tomorrow. With two wins and four points they can come within one of the Adirondack Thunder.
The Utica Comets return to downtown Allentown for another match-up with the Phantoms. This time, they arrive without their best player, Hunter Shinkaruk, who was traded by the parent Vancouver club to the Calgary Flames organization. He had the empty net goal when the Comets pounded the Phantoms on February 13 at the PPL Center. They out-shot us 40-23 in that game.
Utica comes in 1-1-1 in their last three, and 7-1-2 in their last ten.
On special teams, the Utica road kill is ranked 23rd, while it’s overall power play is 27th. The splits are interesting, though, as the home kill is much better, as is the road power play!
Utica is not a divisional opponent, but after getting only one point last night, it becomes more important to get at least one tonight.
Puck Drop: 7:05PM
Tickets, Parking, and Security:
- This game has already gone ‘SRO’ — purchase tickets before you head downtown.
- For pre-paid arena-deck parking, USE THIS LINK (while available)
- As a refresher, here are the security policies in place for this game:
- Camera Policy
No professional lenses are permitted. Re-Entry
As part of our safety policy, there is no re-entry into the PPL Center. If you enter the facility and then leave, you will need an unused ticket to enter the arena again.Refunds
There are no refunds for PPL Center events. All ticket sales are final.Smoking Policy
The Smoking Area, located at the Northwest Gate, will open at puck drop and will close at start of 3rd period. Ticket required for re-entry.
The following items are prohibited during all PPL Center events to ensure the safety and comfort of our guests. Additional rules and regulations may be posted on PPL Center property or may be communicated through PPL Center staff. Guests are reminded to arrive early, as they may be subject to bag checks, a physical search and/or metal detection prior to entering the facility.
Prohibited items include but are not limited to:
– Alcoholic beverages, controlled or unlawful substances and controlled substance paraphernalia
– Weapons of any kind including but not limited to: firearms, knives, chains and spiked jewelry
– Cigarettes and E-Cigarettes
– Cans, bottles (glass or plastic) or coolers
– Outside foods or beverages
– Professional cameras, audio or video recording devices, tripods, and drones
– Mobile tablet devices and laptops
– Laser pointers and pens, pepper spray and Mace
– Noisemakers, such as airhorns, fireworks, Frisbees, balls and other projectiles
– Large purses and large backpacks
– Animals that are not service animals
– Balloons or gifts of any kind
– Selfie Sticks
– Any and all bags exceeding the maximum size limit of 16x15x6. (i.e. backpacks, suitcases, beach bags, etc.)
– Laptops or tablets
– No wrapped gifts are permitted to enter the building at any time under any circumstances.
– Any other item deemed unacceptable by the event or building management
*This list is subject to change without notice by PPL Center Management.
- Camera Policy
Media Kit, and Rosters: Utica 2-27-2016
Broadcast Information: It doesn’t appear that this game is part of the FMZ-69 Saturday night schedule. Visit the usual suspects for TV and radio coverage.
Promotion: It’s meLVin’s Birthday Bash! Many other mascots will be in the house to help meLVin celebrate his birthday today! Much shenanigans will happen. Kids of all ages will love it. With baseball around the corner, I’m really looking forward to seeing Ferrous and FeFe. It would be cool if the Crazy Hotdog Vendor from Reading showed up to toss some hot dogs at the crowd!
Here’s a video from when meLVin was “discovered”
Another important note: The Phan Nation fan club–the official fan club of the Lehigh Valley Phantoms–will have a table on the concourse tonight. If you’re a member, stop by and say hello. If not, get some information about joining up. You do not need to be a season ticket holder to join! For all, get updated on upcoming events, such as the “Away Viewing Party” at Crust on March 5!
Pregame: TV and radio have pregame shows starting at 6:30PM and 6:20PM respectively.
Noise Nation pregame was at The Hamilton yesterday, for their Hijinx Brewing cask-release. We enjoyed “super flights” of four beers and three whiskeys. The whiskeys corresponded to the barrels used to “cask age” two of the beers–regular draft versions were included for comparison. Everything was great, including the happy hour specials, the service and the food and drink! The happy hour specials helped keep the bill to a minimum, which was nice. See my Twitter and Instagram for photos from the session.
With the early doors tonight, I may forgo pregame festivities. We’ll see.
Quick shout-out to Bev in the team shop. She fixed a delivery snafu with my new hat and refunded the shipping. Good job by her to make everything right.
What to Watch
- Watch to see how LaBarbera looks, assuming he starts in goal. If not, it could be another sign that he’s still bothered by a minor injury. I only say minor, because we haven’t heard much, and he has been able to act as back-up.
- Watch to see if Rosie or Smith get a sweater tonight, and if we go back to 12F/6D.
- Don’t leave if we’re behind in the third. We’ve been able to come back a fair few times lately. I’m allowed to say “we” because if I’m in the house for the full game, I’m doing my job.
- Watch to see if Tux and Coco show up for meLVin’s birthday, and if they get the worst of any games or shenanigans on the ice.
- Watch to see if Colin McDonald can play in back-to-back
- See if Bardreau is OK to play.
- Tomorrow the team will be in Hartford. I imagine they’ll leave in the morning.
- Wednesday they play in Syracuse
- Next Friday is the fourth and final “throwback” day, and potentially, the auction of the sweaters.
- Next Saturday is the Phan Nation “away” viewing party at Crust. Info is out there, and I’ll have a post about it soon. Next Saturday is also ‘Pig Day’ and the SteelHawks kickoff classic!
- Next Sunday is the Phantoms STH Carnival. A “seat change” event is upcoming for the Phantoms STH, as well.
See you at the arena,