Norfolk is still in town for a rematch of last night’s game. It’s “Fan Appreciation Night” at the PPL Center, and another “Hockey Night in Allentown.”
I’ve done “Hockey Night in Allentown” for every single home game this season–even the games I didn’t go to. Pay no attention to cheap imitations, because tonight is no different. It’s the real stuff: Here’s what you need to know about tonight’s match-up at the PPL Center in Downtown Allentown Pennsylvania:
Across the river, the IronPigs were losing, but the Phantoms got the win both on the scoreboard and in the stands as they took down the Norfolk Admirals in a shootout and out-drew baseball on a cool, damp night. It was a 2-1 final in the win.
Scotty Laughts got the tying score in the second period and added the shootout winner to lock up the #1 star of the game. Strax also had a shootout goal and Zeppy had 33 saves and two shootout stops on Celebration Day. He was the second star.
I suppose you can spin it any way you like, but when I see 32-32 I see a .500 record. The Admirals haven’t gotten us yet, so let’s look to get above .500 tonight!
The Flyers need a forward, and it looks like Jason Akeson is the man. Good thing he signed all those pucks with his Flyers’ number last night, huh?
D Mark Alt was also recalled to the Flyers, on an emergency basis.
Kevin Goumas returned from injury to play in last night’s game. Darroll Powe and Austin Fyten were injury scratches last night, while Brett Hextall was out with an illness.
Anthony Stolarz will get the start in goal tonight, as Rob Zepp says “Sometimes I feel so tired…” and earns a much deserved break.
F Danick Martel was officially signed to an ‘ATO’ contract, and will be available for tonight’s game. As you recall, he’s a scorer, but may be a bit undersized (according to scouts.) He’ll wear #18 tonight.
The Phantoms are undefeated versus the Admirals this season–but every game has been decided by one goal. If they let down, they’ll get beat tonight.
Game Time: 7:05 Puck Drop; 6:00 Doors; 4:00 Chickie’s–if you want a table.
Tickets: This game has gone “SRO”–which is available only after most/all seats have been sold. Grab a ticket before you head downtown so that you won’t be shut out. The VIP package has been sold out.
Broadcast: Look for the game on Service Electric at channel 50–or 550-HD–as the IronPigs are on as well. FMZ-69 won’t have the game as they have baseball tonight. Listen to hockey on 1470-AM and via the IHeartRadio.com app.
Promotion: It’s “Fan Appreciation Night” for the Phantoms. Here’s what they’v got planned:
“We love YOU fans! To show our appreciation for your part in making the Inaugural Season a great one, we are going to be randomly giving away hundreds of prizes on Saturday, April 11! We have fun Phantoms items like autographed memorabilia, practice jerseys and merchandise! Plus, we are giving away great prizes from our partners, Flyers Fan Packs and so much more!”
- Also, the Allentown Police jersey raffle continues.
- It appears there may be more than one set of those Police jerseys: They will wear them again for tonight’s game and the worn versions will be live-auctioned off following the game, in the standard Phantom’s fashion. All proceeds from the raffles and auctions will benefit the Allentown Police.
- Phantoms’ Wives had a Phantoms Charities fundraiser last night where you could purchase gift-wrapped pucks for $10 each. All were autographed, and if you got a gold one, you won an additional signed prize, such as a stick. I bought two–got Akeson (after much research–thanks to Phan Nation guys/gals over on FaceBook–and Stolarz. Alas, no gold for me. But it was a cool idea and many folks got involved. If they have any pucks or sticks left, they should continue it! Thanks, ladies! (They report on Twitter that they raised $5,000.00 for Phantoms Charities last night!)
What To Watch
- Watch to see if Stoli is sharp after the lay-off.
- Watch to see if someone (Laughts again?) can step up and score in Akeson’s absence.
- Watch to see if they call out my seat number for a prize. I’ll be over at baseball. 😉
- Watch to see if we can beat them by more than one goal.
- Watch to see if new guy Martel can break in to the lineup. And, score.
- Watch to see if Mark Alt gets back from Philly in time to play tonight. He was a healthy scratch this afternoon.
After the game tonight, conversion begins for indoor football. The SteelHawks have their home opener tomorrow afternoon at 4PM. We’ll have a GAME DAY post up in the morning. Consider picking up a ticket at the box office tonight–it will be cheaper in person and cheaper before the day of the game. There’s not a bad seat in the house and it’s around $10 to get in! Festivities start downtown with a live band out on the street at 1PM.
The Phantoms go head-to-head for Lehigh Valley sports viewers for a third straight time on Tuesday, as the Hershey Bears come to town for the final week-day game of the season and the penultimate home game. We’ll close down the ice on Sunday the 19th 5:05PM as we try to send the Pens into the Calder Cup playoff series with a major beat-down.
See you….umm, look, I’m going to baseball, soo….at the park,
Here’s a time lapse of the ice/circus/ice conversion over the last couple weeks: