You can stand outside singing the old camp song, “It ain’t gonna rain, it ain’t gonna rain” for the next few hours but guess what, It’s gonna rain!
Rain is as standard to April as is me asking, “If April Showers bring May flowers, what do Mayflowers bring?” If you said Pilgrims, then you’d be as right as any weather forecaster calling for rain tonight!
It’s going to rain.
Other things that are certain to happen today:
1. The IronPigs will open the gates and allow fans inside.
2. 3,000 or so free hats will be given to said fans.
3. Any food prepped for the picnic, club level, party patios will be served.
4. It will be under 50 degrees, cloudy, windy.
What am I getting at? Show up! Dress appropriately!
What can you do to be better prepared?
1. Wear clean, loose layers with the outer layer being water proof. (Don’t forget about your lower half, there’s nothing like sitting in a puddle or having wet feet when it’s cool outside)
2. Rain coat, poncho, rain coat & poncho. Don’t be the person to bring the monster golf umbrella. No one wants to sit behind or next to that. No one.
3. If you’re feeling it, some of those hand warmers… for more advanced fans like Kram, break out the toasty buns seat warmer.
4. Don’t call the team office asking if the game will be postponed. Don’t do it. Just say no. The game, even if it’s a downpour, will not be postponed until at least 7:50, 45 minutes past the start time. The umpires, grounds crew and GM make the decision then. The person who answers the phone at the Front desk does not. They’re going to be busy getting opening day ready for you, so please. Don’t call asking about rain.
5. Have something (non-electronic) planned to entertain your kids if there is a rain delay. (Singing camp songs would be fun, right?)
6. Enjoy some ballpark food! I’m looking forward to a Gyro Company Gyro and a Philly pretzel. We haven’t had ballpark food in 7 months. Eat up!
7. Be realistic about it. It’s going to be cold and rainy. If your body is telling you to seek a warmer, drier environment. Do so. There is no reason you couldn’t take a walk to the team store or just head home early. No one will think less of you.
It’s opening day in Allentown! Baseball is back! Coca Cola Park will open! Come on out! Be prepared!
Oh and don’t forget parking is up to $5 now, I don’t know if they will have credit card readers available.
Categories: Lehigh Valley IronPigs