The Phantoms are back home for one more game before the AHL All Star Break. Tonight, we celebrate the inaugural season of Phantoms Hockey at the PPL Center in Allentown, PA. The St John’s IceCaps (Winnipeg Jets) are in town.
Wednesday 1/21: It was a “Bear Trap” alright: A lackadaisical Phantoms team got it handed to them by a 7-2 tally in the worst loss ever at the PPL Center. Martin Ouellette started in goal and was pulled in favor of the newly-21 Anthony Stolarz–but the goal play was hardly the only problem. Once again, the Phantoms were willing to engage in fisticuffs, though.
Friday, January 23: A trip to the ‘Cuse to face a very difficult Crunch team. I predict we’ll see a lot more of them next season when Norfolk is jettisoned from the league. But that’s just a guess. At any rate, the Phantoms played a decent game–by all reports–but lost to the Crunch 4-2. Eight infractions lead to 16 minutes of advantage for the Crunch. And, while they were scoreless on the power play–so were the Phantoms–the over-use of special teams can cause a disruption in the normal line rotation. Straka and Goumas had the goals for the Phantoms. Stolarz was in net.
With last night’s loss the Phantoms drop to 5 standings points behind the Pens and 6 behind the Bears. Headed into the All Star break it sure would be nice to get a win and 2 points tonight!
The team continues to lead the league in penalty minutes–overall and per-game average. Sometimes it’s not just about being tough, but about being sloppy. I look to see them “clean it up” a bit tonight.
Blair Jones and Darroll Powe remain injured, and are not expected to play tonight.
Jesper Pettersson and Derek Mathers were the healthy scratches last night.
Brandon Manning remains the only All Star representative from the Phantoms.
Def Adam Comrie playing some good puck: He had two assists last night.
Kevin Goumas had a good game last night as well. He’s upped his game a bit since his short “trip” to Reading.
Here are the lines and pairings from last night–reports are, that fourth line played very well together:
23 Leier – 39 White – 38 Akeson
45 Stortini – 25 Cousins – 10 Gordon
37 Rosehill – 11 Fyten – 16 Hextall
24 Straka – 17 Goumas – 19 Alderson
4 Hagg – 28 Manning
27 Comrie – 5 Delisle
7 Lauridsen – 3 Flemming
Time: 7:05PM Puck Drop; 6:00PM Doors Open. St. John’s won last night in Binghamton.
Tickets: Notice just came through that this game has been SOLD OUT! While there are no seats currently available on a popular secondary market, either, there are some folks on Facebook and Craigslist with some tickets available.
Weather: I’d put it at 99% chance they play the game; the only thing that could prevent it would be if the IceCaps couldn’t get in from Bimmington or if the officials couldn’t get in from wherever. The nasty weather should be well-over by the time you’re ready to come out for the game. The roads, sidewalks and parking facilities should be ready for us in plenty of time. BTW, noted a nice side effect of the parking garage the other night: cars in lots covered in snow after game, garage not so much!
All seats will have nice, orange Gildan 100% cotton T-Shirts for you on your arrival. They are very nice–especially if you can wear size XL and you like the color orange! 😉 It’s not clear if “Standing Room” tickets get shirts too, or not. The promotion is for “all fans” but with the sellout, it will be interesting to hear about this as I’ve gotten no definitive word previously. We’ll be doing some research tonight.
Jersey Auction: Stick around after the game, and the game-worn jerseys (as above) will be auctioned off in the club section. It’s real, live, auctioneer-style, I understand! Better bring your money, too! They got pretty pricey last time out.
I’m not sure what size jerseys the fellas wear–or if we’ll get a size sheet prior to the auction. BUT, here are some listed heights, just in case it might figure into your auction strategy:
Alt (injured) 6/3″, Flemming 5’11”, Hagg 6’2″, Delisle 6’6″, Lauridsen 6’6″, Pettersson 5’8″, Gordon 6’0″, Fyten 6’2″, Gostisbehere (injured) 5’11”, Hextall 5’10”, Goumas 5’10”, Alderson 6’4″, Jones 6’3″, Leier 5’11”, Straka 6’0″, Cousins 5’11”, Comrie 6’4″, Manning 6’1″, Mathers 6’3″–and the goalies will wear bigger sizes… Powe 5’11″(injured), Rosehill 6’3″, Akeson 5’10”, White 6’0″, Stortini 6’4″
Broadcast Information: Tonight’s game will be on both FMZ-69 as well as Service Electric TV-2. Radio feed via AM-1470 or their IHeartRadio counterpart. In the arena: FM 89.9
Pre-Game: I’ll be at Chickie’s and Pete’s before the game for those who need to pick up tickets or drop off money for Thursday night’s game/tickets. At home, the Pre-game TV broadcast will start at 6:30PM live from Chickie’s and Pete’s, and the radio pregame will start at 6:20PM for your drive into town.
What to Watch:
- Watch to see if the Phantoms can play some disciplined hockey, keeping the S.H.I.T. (Slashing, Hooking, Interference, Tripping) to a minimum.
- Watch to see how those jerseys look. I think they look pretty sharp in the picture, but if they’re not cool-looking I won’t be going big in the auction. Also, I’d assume that they are made of the “authentic” game-level material–watch to make sure you don’t see them ripping during play.
- Watch to see if Bow-Tie Ben will wear his “Phantoms of the Opera” hockey mask.
- Watch to see if Chickie’s and Pete’s has “All you can eat snow crabs” again. I bet they don’t. Not after what I did to them on Wednesday–just getting my money’s worth you know.
- Watch to see if Goumas and Straka can continue their strong play of late, and if Taylor Leier can contribute from the top line if that’s where he’s starting
- The AHL All Star festivities from Utica, NY include a skills competition tomorrow, the 25th, and the game on the 26th. There will be radio coverage on XM/Sirius NHL channel, and I imagine Video via the AHL-Live if you have that service.
- Following the AHL All-Star break, the Phantoms return to action on Thursday 1/29 at home versus the Albany Devils. It will be the fourth of four meetings this season–with the Phantoms having a devil of a time trying to get a win. It’s also Phan Nation / Noise Nation “Bring a Friend” night. Tickets are just about depleted–if there are any needs or changes I can be found on Twitter or via email at Kramof209(at)gmail.com.
- It will be two in a row, as the Phantoms will remain home on Friday 1/30 for meLVin’s birthday! The first 3,000 kiddos (14 and under) will receive free replica jerseys at the gate!
See you at the arena,