The IronPigs return home tonight to face off against the Gwinnett Braves for the second series this month, having just played them in Georgia during a far-south road trip. Here’s the information you need to get you ready for this, the second of five 8-game home stands of 2014.
The IronPigs just completed a 6-2 romp over the two most southern teams in the International League. They began the trip with travel misadventures, but recovered to sweep the G-Braves 4-0. They then lost the first two games in Charlotte’s new stadium before recovering to win the last two. Their record is now 17-16, good enough for fifth place in the IL North, but only 2.0 games back of the current leader Buffalo, who have lost three straight. Even so, Buffalo is 7-3 over their last ten coming off a really hot streak. Just ahead of Lehigh Valley is Scranton and Syracuse. They are currently on winning streaks of 5 and 6 games, respectively. Gwinnett comes in having won their past three, after the four losses in a row to Lehigh Valley, prior. Following the wrap-around series with Gwinnett, the RailRiders visit for four in a row next week.
- The Pigs have homered in eight straight now.
- Reid Brignac hit two three-run home runs last night to pace the ‘Pigs to a victory.
- Tyler Henson is hitting .476 over his last five games, raising his season average to .312.
- Tyson Gillies (shoulder) and Clete Thomas (illness) both returned to action in the last two games after having missed time during the road trip.
- Matt Tolbert has three multi-hit efforts in his last six games.
- Steve Susdorf is batting .346 in his last 19 games.
- Jim Murphy has hit safely in 14 of his past 17 games.
- Catcher Koyie Hill has hit safely in 8 of his last 11 games.
- Young 3B prospect Maikel Franco hit .324 on the trip, with 3 doubles, and has his season average up to .215 after a very slow start. On 4/24 he became the youngest IronPig all-time to hit a Home Run.
- Greg Smith has had four consecutive quality starts.
- Since David Buchanan joined the IronPigs 8/4/2013, he leads the IL in wins (8).
Roster Changes on the Hog-rizon:
- Look for Cameron Rupp to re-joint the ‘Pigs at some time during this home stand
- Look for possible rehab assignments and/or options for Darin Ruf and Ethan Martin during this home stand
- Relievers joined the IronPigs from Reading: Ken Giles and Kyle Simon added today!
- Freddy Galvis was optioned from Philly to the IronPigs last evening. We’ll let you know when he arrives in the valley.
- Reid Brignac had his contract purchased by Philadelphia! He’ll be with the Phillies tonight in New York.
Projected Pitching Match-ups:
FRIDAY: LHP Greg “money” Smith (3-0, 2.27) vs. RHP Gus “cut off my” Schlosser (0-1, 10.80)
SATURDAY: RHP Barry “209” Enright (0-2, 5.22) vs. LHP Ian “I haven’t pitched” Thomas (0-0, 0.00)
SUNDAY: RHP Sean “the older brother” O’Sullivan (1-3, 3.86) vs. RHP Zach “root beer” Stewart (2-2, 5.35)
MONDAY: RHP: Jonathan “day games” Pettibone (2-0, 3.38) vs. RHP Cody “my favorite” Martin (3-2, 2.92)
Weather Forecast: (at game time)
FRIDAY: 70 deg /30% rain
SATURDAY: 73 deg/35% rain
SUNDAY: 72 deg/ 0% rain
MONDAY: 79 deg/30% rain
Promotions, Menus, and Other Stuff at Coca Cola Park:
- Friday Night Fireworks
- The debut of the “Black Out” Uniforms (if it doesn’t rain, again)
- 7:05 PM Game Time
- Unclaimed Property Night (State officials on had to help locate unclaimed monies)
- Pig Stop: Pig Trough Fries with Toppings: $7.00
- 6:35PM Game Time
- Hockey Night: Hockey Cap Giveaway (3,000, 18+)
- Post-game Tiki Party Featuring “J2”
- Pig Stop: Pasta Bar with sauces and toppings, $8.00
- 1:35PM Start
- Mother’s Day; Kevin Frandsen Wine Topper (2,000 WOMEN, 21+)
- Clowns and Balloons; Plus Kids Run the Bases
- Go directly to the SteelHawks game afterwards! (If Mom lets you…) NO post-game NN tailgate
- Pig Stop: Pulled Pork Sliders, Slaw. $6.00
- 10:35AM Start.
- Education Day #3
- Do NOT add Ghost Pepper Sauce to your Bloody Mary. You’re Welcome.
- Pig Stop: Closed 😦
- On-Field Photo Day: All gates open at 5:30PM. Players will be available on the field until 6:15PM. Rules, and a map of player locations, will be available at the entrance.
- Ball Park Bingo
- Pig Stop: Fajita Bar $8.00
- 7:05 Start
- Pizza Cutter Giveaway (3,000, 18+)
- Pig Stop: Gyro (no price given)
- Ladies Night Pre-Game Happy Hour
- 7:05 Start
- Pig Stop: Stir-Fry Bar: Chicken or Beef, veggies and sauce, with rice: $8.00
- Black Out Night
- Post-game Fireworks
- Pig Stop: Bananas Foster $6.00
See you at the park!
(except Sunday and next Friday…)