In years past, August has brought me baseball apathy. By August I’ve had enough of the park, enough of the food, enough of the losing, and I’m ready for some football. Not this year though. I’m about as pumped for August baseball as I am for April baseball. Why? Dunno. But over the coming days I’ll present ten possible reasons–ten reasons YOU should be pumped about August baseball as well.
Reason Number Seven: Promos
There are some interesting promos yet to come this last month. I’m personally looking forward to:
- My second Batting Practice Party (OK, maybe this is just me, but..)
- “Woodchucks” What Could Have Been Night II. Hey a free cap. And unique. And the jersey auction that goes with it!
- “IronHeads” party. Is this still on? Anyway, could be cool, and it’s paid for.
- Dom Brown kids’ Shirsey. Maybe you don’t have kids, but the last couple years they’ve done a really nice job with these: They are much nicer than just regular T-Shirts.
- A couple other kiddo giveaways: backpack and flip flops.
- Magnet Schedule and Wall Calendar: Good to get a jump on next year, lest you schedule a week vacation during a home stand doncha know.
- Fan Appreciation Day: I hope they do more with this, this year.
Anyway, still some great promos left. C’mon out and get them!
About Last Night:
It was just a really weird night. No, I don’t mean because the good guys lost 10-1. Nor because of the rain. It was just a strange vibe. It started when we pulled in to the access road: There were no other cars and no traffic control whatsoever. The parking lots didn’t appear as full as expected, either.
Next, it turned into one of those social nights. Lots of familiar faces in the park last night and I found myself socializing and watching football more than watching the baseball game.
On the good side, one of my kids caught a foul ball–out of the air. Yeah, it ricocheted twice, but he snagged it one-handed or it would have gone to the row behind us. Great play by him. Perhaps he’ll have to have “Let’s Go” Blanco sign it for him.
But the game? *sigh* It was one of those nights. Austin Hyatt was having trouble keeping the ball down and the fake Mets were feasting on it. Reminds me of what they did to Elarton in that day game earlier this year. Kids were ready to put Austin on a bus back to Reading in the third inning, but I’ll give him another start or two. He’s looked good enough in the past that he needs more of a chance to prove himself. Let’s go, Hyatt; we know you can do it.
Really looking forward to tonight’s game as it’s Pettibone’s Coke debut. He’s looked good on the road, so I’m hoping for a big game tonight. But the weather seems to be a problem. My usual strategy to deal with the rains has been to stay at home until it comes over Twitter: “The tarps are off.” But, alas, tonight is BP Party, so we’ll be there early with our umbrellas I guess. Anything for free food, you know.
Then, start your bidding on the Woodchucks Jerseys for Saturday!